February 1907: ‘Abdu’l-Baha begins to transfer the Holy Family from ‘Akka to His House in Haifa

Keenly aware of Baha'u'llah's vision of Mount Carmel's great destiny, ‘Abdu'l-Baha, having set Himself to supervise and expedite the erection of the Shrine of the Báb on Mount Carmel, considered building a house in Haifa. Miss Laura Clifford Barney (who became Mme Dreyfus-Barney after her marriage in 1911 to Hippolyte Dreyfus) aided in the purchase of the land at the eastern edge of the German colony, on a lane later to be named Persian (Haparsim) Street. The Master then designed His House, and was assisted by Laura Barney in the construction which followed. Throughout the tense period of the Turkish Commission of Inquiry and in spite of all the malign forces then activated, erection of the House went forward, and its effective completion closely coincided with the rebellion of the Young Turks in 1908. From February 1907 ‘Abdu’l-Baha had begun to transfer the Holy Family to Haifa; in the course of several years all moved from 'Akka, including the Greatest Holy Leaf and His beloved grandson, Shoghi Effendi, and in August 1910 He Himself came to the town across the bay. In this House destined for such great service, and which now became 'Abdu'l-Baha's official residence, Shoghi Effendi grew to maturity under the Master's tutelage. (David Ruhe, ‘Door of Hope’, p. 145)